How Do I...
Ask a librarian
The librarians at the Rochester Public Library welcome your questions via e-mail and will respond to you within 48 hours.
- Always include your phone number and at least your first name in case we need to contact you.
- For questions that require extensive time and research, we invite you to visit the library or call us at 262-534-3533 during regular library hours.
- We cannot answer questions that require medical or legal interpretation.
Get a library card
To obtain a Rochester Public Library card, you must:
- Be a Village of Rochester resident or a resident of a municipality served by the Lakeshores and Share Library System
- Be able to show proof of residency (street address) and have a photo ID. A driver's license is the preferred form of identification.
- Complete a Library Card application card.
- Children must be able to print their first and last names legibly on the application card, and a parent/ guardian must sign their application card as the responsible adult as well as accompany the child to the library when they apply for their card.
Get e-mail notifications
You've Got Mail!
We are pleased to offer the following service: the Share Automated Library System will e-mail you when items you’ve placed on hold become available and when items are overdue.
Please note: if you choose to receive notices via e-mail, you will no longer receive other notifications. Once you sign up, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book so that the notices will go directly to your inbox. The Rochester Public Library is committed to protecting your privacy and does not share e-mail addresses with third parties.
To receive these notifications, just send an e-mail to email@example.com with the word 'Notices' in the subject line. Please make sure to include your full name and street address in the body of the message and - you’ve got mail!
Manage my online account
You may access your online account only after you have logged in to the online library catalog. You will need your library card number and a PIN number that has been assigned by the card issuing library. After you have entered your library card number and PIN, you should see "My Account" in the dark blue bar across the top of the web page. After clicking "My Account", you will be able to review your account, renew your materials, place holds and change your password/PIN.
Place a hold
- Log on to the library catalog using your library card number and password/PIN. Find the item which you would like to reserve.
- Click "Place hold".
- Choose a pickup location.
- Expiration date will state “never”.
- Click "Place hold". If the hold is successful, a confirmation screen will appear.
- Click "OK" to return to the catalog.
Renew my materials
- Log in to the library catalog by entering your library card number and password/PIN.
- Click on “My Account” from the dark blue bar across the top of the web page.
- Click on “Renew my materials.”
- You may renew all of your materials by selecting the “Renew all” button and then clicking on the blue “Renew selected items” button at the bottom of the page.
- You may renew some of your materials by selecting the boxes next to the individual items you want renewed and then clicking on the blue “Renew selected items” button at the bottom of the page.
- A new page will open to display a list of successfully renewed items and their new due dates. Also listed will be any items that were not renewed.
Please note: Some items may not be renewed online. If the item has been renewed a number of times or if another patron has placed a hold on the item you will not be able to renew it. You will need to return it to the library. Please call the library at 262-534-3533 if you have further questions.
Reserve a meeting room
The library has a meeting room available for use by nonprofit community groups and nonprofit organizations. The use of meeting rooms is at the sole discretion and timing of the library.
Please read the library’s meeting room policy. All applications for use of meeting rooms must be made in person and approved by the library director.